Thursday, November 17, 2011

SVGA Output Test (Now With More Smoke!)

Last night marked my first glorious step forward toward the glamorous world of VGA-style output capability.  After months' of off-and-on research into how VGA timings work as well as the physical layer required to make it happen, I made my first attempt at bringing my ideas into the real world last night.

It didn't work.

Specifically, it didn't work because when I went to program the CPLD I was going to use as a video logic chip with my hello-world-vga-pattern-test configuration, I connected the power wires backwards.  Unfortunately, this had the effect of frying both the CPLD and the oscillator attached to it within seconds.  I didn't have the right frequency oscillator anyway, however, so it was only ever going to be an oscilloscope waveform proofing run.

I've got the proper 40 MHz oscillator on order.  I should be back in business early next week.  Hopefully, my test of 800x600 @ 60 Hz will prove successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment